Where is your family heading for the holidays? Your family’s house? To your husband’s side? Maybe you are hosting everyone at your house this year. Whatever your plans are, I hope they were discussed and negotiated earlier than a few days before the holiday hit! Last-minute plans usually end up in a fight. At least they did for us.
I wish I could say Jon and I always had our family holiday plans figured out months in advance. I also wish I could say that we always agreed on them, but that would be a big fat lie. For many years of our marriage, things around the holidays caused a lot of stress and chaos in our families and between us as a couple.
This episode is dedicated to walking you through navigating the holidays and preventing conflict…. as much as possible anyways 🙂
On Today’s Episode We Discuss:
- The delicate balancing act of trying to please everyone during the holidays
- How to avoid setting up false expectations
- Setting expectations and boundaries with your family
- Feeling the stress of trying to please everyone and keep certain schedules
- The importance of the “core family” and why they should come first
- Setting false and vague expectations to avoid conflict and how it can backfire
- Following the rule that each spouse handles the conversation with their own parents. I always say “your parents, your problem. My parents, my problem”
- Questions you should be asking each other when planning your holidays
- Jon and I chat about what expectations we have for each other during the holiday season
I pray you and your families have a wonderful Thanksgiving together….whereever you end up! I hope this episode helps set you up for a successful Christmas season as well.
Remember that Jon and I love hearing from you. Let us know where you are heading for the holidays! I would love to hear how you tackle the holidays as a couple. Do you visit extended family or do you stay home with your core? Would you love me to cover something on a future episode? Reach out to me on Instagram @theamywine and let me know!
See you here again next week. Until then, Happy Thanksgiving!
Subscribe & Review on Apple Podcasts
Are you subscribed to the podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to do that today so you don’t miss any future episodes! I already have so many amazing guests and topics lined up, I would hate for you to miss a single one! Click here to subscribe on Apple Podcasts
Could I ask a big favor? If you are loving the podcast, I would LOVE it if you would leave me a review on Apple Podcasts. Jon and read each and every one! It also helps other people find the podcast! Wondering how to leave a review? Click on the Apple Podcasts link to review, then select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review”. So easy!